Smoking: Health risks
- Heart disease – a cigarette smoker has almost twice the risk of a non-smoker of having a heart attack. The risk of sudden death from heart disease is also increased.
- Lung cancer – smoking causes 81% of deaths from lung cancer. Other lung diseases such as bronchitis are more common in smokers.
- Mouth and throat – smoking is linked to cancers of the mouth, pharynx, larynx and oesophagus.
- Stomach and intestines – smoking is linked to cancers of the stomach, pancreas, kidney, liver, bladder and intestine.
- Skin – smoking ages the skin prematurely causing deep wrinkles.
- Bones – female smokers are at a greater risk of developing osteoporosis.
- Reproductive organs – smoking is associated with infertility. The risk of cervical cancer is 4 times higher in women smokers.
Health risk is not divided evenly across the smoking population. There are a number of factors that can affect it:
- Number of cigarettes per day
- Total duration of the smoking habit
- Depth of inhalation
- Age of onset of smoking; the younger the age of onset the greater the risk. This is probably secondary to the increased vulnerability of the cardiovascular and respiratory systems during growth and maturation
- Personal characteristics; high blood pressure, occupational exposures (e.g. asbestos), diabetes, diet and high blood cholesterol.
All these factors can greatly increase the health risk from smoking.
Pipe and cigar smokers who have never smoked cigarettes have a lower risk of heart, lung and stomach diseases, but the same risk of mouth and throat cancers. This is because the smoke is not inhaled so deeply.
Book a Stop Smoking Hypnotherapy Treatment with Susannah
When you are ready, book your Stop Smoking Hypnotherapy Treatment with Susannah and she will help you become a non-smoker.
At the beginning of your session, Susannah will discuss all the associations you have with smoking, along with when you started smoking, why you started, why you want to stop and how the habit has become part of your lifestyle.
Then during the hypnotherapy part of the session itself, Susannah will use this information to free you from your habit, whilst you comfortably and enjoyably enter a beautiful, natural state of relaxation. Although you will be relaxed, you will still be aware of everything going on around you and will remain in complete control. You will not enter into a strange ‘trance’. All you will feel is beautifully relaxed throughout.
Leaving the session as a happy, confident non-smoker, you will feel relaxed, calm and at ease, ready to enjoy better health, greater wealth, and a huge sense of achievement!